Everyday Carry Extras: The Homesteader

If you spend your days (or just the occasional Saturday) building, fixing, and caring for your home, this is the gear for you.

These days, 90 percent of what you need on a given day exists on a thin piece of plastic and glass, and the ubiquitous and all-knowing Cloud. But the remaining 10 percent can go a long way in helping define and express your identity.

So don’t limit personal branding to your phone's wallpaper – have some things you carry in the real world, that you can touch and feel in your pockets, to remind yourself who you are, where you came from, and where you’re headed. Of course, different kinds of guys will find value in different kinds of things – which is where our EDC Extras series comes in.

You're miles away from the city. Twinkling stars replace the electric buzz of streets and storefronts. A rural earthiness lends new possibilities.

If you've taken the Goodbye to All That approach to life in favor of planting roots (and maybe a backyard garden) somewhere more rural, a more practical approach to your everyday gear is necessary.

A Good, Solid Knife

Sharpen a carpenter’s pencil to put up those new kitchen shelves. Open the latest UPS delivery. Or just take up whittling on the porch. However you use it, a handsome knife with strong steel should be in every homesteader's pocket.

You could go with the French-designed, history-rich Opinel No. 8 pictured above, or go more modern with an all-black-everything drop point or an ultra light folder.

Treat it well, and a good one will last you a lifetime.

Work-Ready Gloves

Granted, a man needs an assortment of gloves for everything from driving to boxing. But the work glove is an everyday essential for someone getting his house in order.

Landscaping the yard, setting stones in a new hearth, raking leaves, laying mulch – it's all a lot easier and more comfortable with a good pair of these. And if you're going to be wearing them, they might as well look nice, right? A solid pair of leather gloves will be plenty tough, and can pull double duty for winter style points when you're out on the town.

A Versatile Multi-Tool

For quick fixes like replacing a showerhead or tightening the handle on your favorite saucepan, you don’t want to haul out the toolbox and hunt for a simple screwdriver or pair of pliers. Multi-tools are the answer.

A sleek, everything-you-could-possibly-need, full-size Leatherman is always a good bet. If you want something smaller, there are keychain-sized versions that will still see you through most tasks. Or for something a little different, you can try BitzBlade's compact, titanium tool. Keep whichever you choose close by for all those quick fixes that come up in a typical day buzzing around your home.

More in Gear
More from Field Guide
{{ AssociateAccountModalCtrl.data.message }}
{{ AssociateAccountModalCtrl.data.paragraph }}
{{ AssociateAccountModalCtrl.data.error }}

Don't already have a Bespoke Post account?

We've created a brand new Bespoke Post account for you, using the email address: {{ ::$ctrl.userEmail }}
Welcome back
You have an account with us, but haven't set a password yet. Reset your password to log-in.
{{ $ctrl.email }}
Email sent
The {{ ::$ctrl.product.name }} -
For a limited time, get over 20% off one of our favorites (plus, free returns).